Movie Review Monday - The Legend of 1900

The Legend of 1900 - Watch. It. ASAP!
It’s unlikely that you’ve seen The Legend of 1900, but it’s a small tragedy if you haven’t. The story is related in flashback by Max Tooney, played pitch perfect by Pruitt Taylor Vince, and all revolves around a single record of a song owned by a pawn shop broker. The song is heartbreakingly beautiful and no other copies of it exist. The legend begins in earnest when we meet 1900, masterfully played by Tim Roth. I’m not the biggest fan of adverbs, and I certainly am not using ‘masterfully’ lightly, but because of the role he played in this movie, Mr. Roth became my favorite actor for a number of years (right up until the abysmal remake of Planet of the Apes…ugh!)

I’d be remiss if I didn’t say that this movie isn’t for everyone. Some might think it on the slow side, whereas I find it a leisurely ride through a wondrous tale and for me it’s on my top twenty movie list, which is really saying something because I’ve seen a looooooooooot of movies. Perhaps the movie doesn’t get its due in part because of its Italian director, Giuseppe Tornatore?  But it’s all in English, no subtitles, so that can’t be used as an excuse. Regardless, I feel the movie is criminally unappreciated.

The movie is just lyrically so beautiful and sad and wonderful, filled with touching moments of happiness, and moments that truly make your heart ache. For me it wove a spell, created a magical world that I didn’t want to leave.

Unfortunately, it might be tricky to track down a copy of the movie. Netflix doesn’t even recognize it as a movie, though you can see two of Tornatore’s other movies, Malena and Cinema Paradiso, which also happen to be fantastic. If you luck into a copy, from your library or a friend or stopping in to see me, watch the movie and you won’t regret your time.

«««««
5.0/5.0

Comments

Popular Posts