Book Review - The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis

 5.0 / 5.0

If I can, I usually enjoy reading the book before watching the movie or series that the book is based on. A book is often considered a collaboration between the writer and the reader, whereas a movie/series, I feel, often involves a bit more leading. I read the novel first because I enjoy forming my own images and meanings before I see someone else's interpretation of those same images. 

'The Queen's Gambit' is an excellent novel. First and foremost it's a character study on genius, addiction, and breaking down the barriers that hold people back. Elizabeth Harmon is a wondrous, flawed character who you can't help but root for. She's complex, intelligent and foolish, brave, weak, and strong. She's a contradiction bundled in flesh. In short, she very much feels like a real person.

In addition, the book walks you through the game of chess, with Elizabeth as our guide. It rekindled my enjoyment of the game.

I'd highly recommend the book. It's the best kind of underdog story with a character you can't help but love.

I haven't watched the Netflix series, 'The Queen's Gambit' yet, but I'm very much looking forward to it. I also have plans to read more of Walter Tevis' work.




Comments

Popular Posts