A new artist, and then an old artist.
The first is Other Lives. The band hails from Stillwater, Oklahoma, and originally formed in 2004 with the name Kunek before changing their name to Other Lives in 2006. I ran into their song on facebook, with a tagline mentioning that they were opening some shows for Radiohead. This is the song that grabbed me:
And another great tune of theirs:
Other Lives is:
- Jesse Tabish (vocals, piano, guitar and percussion)
- Jenny Hsu (cello and backing vocals)
- Jon Mooney (violin, horns, piano and percussion)
- Colby Owens (clarinet and percussion)
- Josh Onstott (bass and percussion)
|Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here'|
How are the songs alike?Perhaps it’s that both songs have a certain beautiful longing to them, a droning sense of ennui that hints at more than just the lyrics. More than that? I guess some ineffable quality that I can’t put into words.
PS: This is actually someone’s music video interpretation of the song, but I thought he did a really good job.