New Tunes Tuesday - Other Lives vs. Pink Floyd


Other Lives
I’m going to slightly change the format for my Tunes Tuesday, just to see how it works out. When I haven’t seen a live show (Live Tunes Tuesday), I’ll do New Tunes Tuesday. On those days I’ll juxtapose a newer song that I’m really enjoying, with an older artist or song that comes to mind when enjoying the new song. It may sometime be a tenuous link, but the older band will simply have the aura of the newer song or band, for me anyway.

So.

A new artist, and then an old artist.

The first is Other Lives. The band hails from Stillwater, Oklahoma, and originally formed in 2004 with the name Kunek before changing their name to Other Lives in 2006. I ran into their song on facebook, with a tagline mentioning that they were opening some shows for Radiohead.  This is the song that grabbed me:


And another great tune of theirs:


Other Lives is:

  • Jesse Tabish (vocals, piano, guitar and percussion)
  • Jenny Hsu (cello and backing vocals)
  • Jon Mooney (violin, horns, piano and percussion)
  • Colby Owens (clarinet and percussion)
  • Josh Onstott (bass and percussion)

Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here'
The older band is Pink Floyd. I’ve been a Pink Floyd band since high school, literally playing The Wall until I wore out the cassette. My favorite album is either ‘Wish You Were Here’ or ‘Animals’. While taking a shower this morning the song that came to mind was ‘Money’, from their eponymous ‘The Dark Side of the Moon’ album, but after listening again, I felt the two songs really didn’t have the same tone at all and I had a bit of a what-the-hell-was-I-thinking moment. So I changed my mind to one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs, the title track from 'Wish You Were Here'.

How are the songs alike? Perhaps it’s that both songs have a certain beautiful longing to them, a droning sense of ennui that hints at more than just the lyrics. More than that?  I guess some ineffable quality that I can’t put into words.


PS: This is actually someone’s music video interpretation of the song, but I thought he did a really good job.


Comments

Popular Posts