Book Review - The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

3.45 / 5.0

So this book is a bit of a conundrum to rate. In many ways, it's good, but the whole plot is fairly predictable (I guess about 1/4 of the way through I knew what was going to happen at the end). The main character is likable, and I even had some genuine emotion for her, which is key. The book's concept is fun, as well.

I don't think I can adequately explain what I *didn't* like about the book without laying down some spoilers, so beware.

*** Avast, spoilers ahead ***

This is pretty much a 'It's a Wonderful Life' variant, with more options. However, where Frank Capra (the director of IaWL) was able to tread the line between saccharine and tragedy and predictable, I don't think this novel did that so well.

The biggest thing is that the MC definitely would have found a life that was better. She did, actually. But everything didn't work out well, because...story. Yeah, that's right. We were working towards an ending that was pat and comfortable, and tied up with a bow. So she couldn't find a better life and stay there because then the story wouldn't have ended up with the right ending. The ending where you should work towards loving your very own life. And don't get me wrong, I think that moral is a good place to end, I just don't think this novel earned it.

Comments

Popular Posts