Dogtooth - Movie Review

Umm. Yeah. So I love movies and I've seen a lot of them, and I'm pretty sure that Yorgo Lanthimos' Dogtooth is the weirdest movie I've ever seen. It's seriously fubar.

It's also quite engaging. And it spins on a dime from funny to horrific to seriously bizarre. Do I wish I could get my time back after viewing it? To be honest I'm not really sure. As a piece of social satire, I didn't find it successful. And if that's the case, on what level does it work? I think it succeeds in appealing to our prurient, voyeuristic impulses, however artistic its aims.

If I were to sum up the movie I'd call it ambitiously ambiguous.

Would I recommend Dogtooth? Probably not. Unless the person was really into home-schooling gone seriously wrong, or wacko art-house movies.

Alcohol Pairing: Nyquil/Jägermeister
shots?

Overall Rating: C-

Comments

Popular Posts