The Decemberists at the Fillmore Charlotte - April.9.2015

The first time I listened to the Decemberists I was in a car hurtling up I95 in Maine, heading to Gray-New Gloucester school. It was an inauspicious beginning, as I was underwhelmed. Not surprising—I've been wrong before on a first listen, though never quite so wrong as then.

Being a writer, I'm a lyric man, and singer/songwriter Colin Meloy makes the writing effortless, weaving in such words as ventricle and eidolon into his lyrics in such a way that they seem foundational, as opposed to flowery and show-offy.

The show Thursday night at the Fillmore was phenomenal. I don't recall any other concert that passed quite so quickly through sheer enjoyment.

Meloy, Query & Moen:

 Colin Meloy - The Rake's Song

Jenny Conlee:


The Decemberists @ the Fillmore Charlotte:


The Decemberists are:
  • Colin Meloy – lead singer, songwriter, guitar, bouzouki, harmonica
  • Chris Funk – guitar, mandolin, pedal steel, multi-instrumentalist
  • Jenny Conlee – Hammond organ, accordion, melodica, piano, keyboards, synthesizer
  • Nate Query – bass guitar, double bass, cello
  • John Moen – drums, backing vocals, melodica

The finale was wondrous fun:


My Top Five Decemberists Songs (song - album - year)


  1. Red Right Ankle - Her Majesty (2003)  
  2. The Wrong Year - What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World (2015) 
  3. Summersong - The Crane Wife (2006) 
  4. The Rake's Song - The Hazard's of Love (2009) 
  5. 16 Military Wives - Picaresque (2005) 

Comments

Popular Posts